Cottage food businesses in Stanislaus County are only permitted to sell non-perishable, non-potentially hazardous items. For a list of approved items, click on the button below.

Cottage Food Operator Permit: Stanislaus County

All Cottage Food Operators in Stanislaus County must obtain either a Class A or Class B cottage food license from the County Department of Environmental Resources. This department is basically the Health Department for all of Stanislaus County. Click the button below to be directed to their website.


Class A License: allows the business to sell directly to customers only

CA snip.PNG

Class B License: allows the business to sell both directly and indirectly to the customer.

CB snip.PNG
Registered participants in the Recipes for Success Cottage Food Program who reside in Modesto (or who participated in the program prior to March 31, 2020) are eligible for a one-time reimbursement of the cottage food license fee once their application has been approved by the County Environmental Resources Department if done before June 30, 2021. They also must obtain a business license from the City of Modesto. Proof of payment and approval of Cottage Food License is needed. 

Other Needed Licenses and Permits

In addition to the Stanislaus County Cottage Food License above, there are some additional licenses and permits you will need in order to operate legally.
Click the button below to find more information about the additional licenses.